Automobile comprises of numerous parts. Every part functions differently in one or the other way. Windshield glass of car is quite different for a window glass of domain. Glass used in the car over windshield is commonly called as auto glass. It can be of two types, laminated and tempered one. These are used on windows of front doors or rear doors.
Laminated auto glass-
Whenever car accident takes place it breaks down but did not shatter into pieces as in the case of home’s window glass. In the year 1920, the auto industry produced such glass by fusing two different sheets of glass together in high temperature. Since then, this type of glass was used in automobiles. Laminated glasses are designed in such a way so that it can bear heavy impact easily and do not shatter easily.
Mainly, such glasses are useful for automobile industry yet these can be installed in many shops. These have the perfect strength for heavy impacts.
Tempered auto glass–
Since the chances of damage from the side are rare therefore these glasses are suitable for car’s side door and rare door windows. Unlike, laminated glass these are made from single ply. After heating the glass at a very high temperature, it is then cooled at very low temperature. When such procedure is followed the glass breaks down into small pebbles like structure. These structures do not have sharp edges.
Common features of auto glass-
- Rain sensor- a gel pack of a small amount is adhering on the windshield. It helps in automatic operation of vehicle’s wiper during rain.
- The shade band the most common problem which a driver of automobile faces while driving is direct sunlight that makes you unable to see the outer surroundings. The windshield glass is thus embedded with such a property so that it can protect your eyes from sunlight and enable you to see the outer vision.
- Warning system for lane departure- such auto glass helps a driver to maintain correct position while moving on a lane. Sometimes a camera may be attached to side mirror which provides a correct picture of the lane to the driver.
- The third visor- in order to avoid sun shining in front of driver’s eyes, a black shade on the windshield is provided on rear view glass.
- Acoustic interlayer- in 2 layers of the glass sheet, a vinyl which is good sound absorbent is sandwiched. This helps in reducing the outer sounds coming inside the automobile. From 1500 HZ to 5000 HZ of noise can be reduced.
- Privacy glass- it helps in awarding extra privacy to the driver and the other passengers of the automobile. It not only provides privacy but also protect your car from being heated up by surrounding temperature.
- Heated wiper- it can be located at the area under the windshield. Usually, wiper is in the idle situation but whenever ice or snow gets accumulated on it, it produces heat and the snow/ice gets melted easily.
Besides having much use in the automobile industry, auto glass is used in the manufacturing of other items used by humans.